” Three Studies of Lucian Freud” , an 1969 artwork by the Irish painter Francis Bacon, has become the highest ever grossing artwork when it was sold at the Christie’s auction house at a price of $142.4 million to the highest bidder.
- Its a 3 paneled painting depicting Lucian Freud (friend of Bacon and also a fellow artist) on a chair with three panels showing his view from three side(showing only one side of face).
- “The Scream,” by Edvard Munch had earlier grossed $119.9 m in May 2012 at a Sotheby’s auction.
Another record at the Auction : Highest ever price achieved by any living artist ($58.4 million) Francis Bacon’s ‘Three Studies of Lucian Freud :- “Balloon Dog (Orange),”
- a 10ft stainless steel sculpture by Jeff Koons it resembles twisted baloons is one of the 5 sculpture created in 5 colours
- “Domplatz, Mailand (Cathedral Square, Milan)” of Gerhard Richter held the previous record at $37.1 m (sold in early 2013).
with a total sale of over $691.5m, it is the highest total for any single auction in history.
Other $100m Price tag Artworks :
- Picasso, Nude, Green Leaves, and Bust – $106.5m (2010)
- Alberto Giacometti, Walking Man I – $104.3m (2010)
- Picasso, Boy With a Pipe – $104.1m (2004)
Some Top Auction Houses of the world :
1.Bonhams : Founded in 1793; based in London specialises in Asian artwork
- Bonhams and Butterfields : in 2002 Bonhams bought Butterfields (founded in 1865) to set up this co.
2.Christie’s : founded 1766
3.Sotheby’s : Founded 1744 , main offices in London and New York
4.Stockholms Auktionsverk : Founded 1674 in Sweden
- oldest auction house in the world
5.Dorotheum : established 1707 in Vienna
6.Heritage Auctions : Established 1976
7.Phillips de Pury & Company : Established 1976 in London , currently based in Newyork
9.Tajan : based in Paris
- France’s largest auction house.
10.Villa Grisebach Auktionen : Founded 1986 in Germany
11.Waddington’s : Established 1850 in Toronto
Some Indian Auction Houses :
1. Osian’s : founded in 2000 by Neville Tuli
- also holds Osian’s Cinefan Film Festival
3. Art Bull
4. Bid & Hammer
Some Indian Artists whose works have fetched high prices in auctions :
1. S. H. Raza : painting titled “Saurashtra” is the most expensive artwork sold (in 2010) of an Indian artist
2.Tyeb Mehta : “Mahisasur” painting was sold at very high prices
3.Subodh Gupta (born 1964) based in New Delhi
specialises in sculpture of brass and stainless steel
4.John Wilkins (1927–1991)
5.Francis Newton Souza (1924 – 2002)
- “Birth” sold for Rs 10.5 crore in 2007
6.Vasudeo S. Gaitonde (1924–2001)
7.Amrita Sher-Gil (1913 – 1941)
8.Maqbool Fida Husain