President of Germany (Chancellor) Angela Merkel has been selected for the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development, 2013. The award is given by the “Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust” and an International Jury selects the awardee. The jury for this year was headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
As stated by the jury she has been awarded for :
- steering German, Europe and world economy through exemplary leadership during the financial crisis click here for more information about Angela Merkel Awarded .
- promotion of global economic stability
- “her commitment to universal peace and disarmament
- “her leadership role in strengthening productive and mutually beneficial relations with India and other developing countries : she galvanised inter-governmental consultations between the two country during her visit to India in 2011 and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Berlin in 2013. During these summits both the party finalised the deal for German participation in the ambitious Green Energy Corridors Project.
- She is also the first woman to be elected as Chancellor of Germany.
Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development :